The KAAD (Katholischer Akademischer Ausländer-Dienst or the Catholic Academic Exchange Service) is the scholarship institution that provides educational programs for citizens from the countries of Asia, Africa Latin America, as well as of Eastern and Southeastern Europe. Mostly the KAAD scholarships are opened to university graduates who are already engaged into church and society service.
Generally, the scholarship consists of 2 programs, aiming at the promotion of “Agents of Change” – the young and motivated participants. The KAAD awardees predominantly prove their academic excellence and come from deprived families. Among the KAAD programs there are a few oriented towards the development of African countries.
Scholarship Program #1
The program welcomes students from the countries of Asia, Middle East, Africa and Latin America. The following levels of study can be applied:
- Master’s degree;
- Post-Doctoral research project (it lasts from 2 to 6 months for university lecturers).
If you want to participate in this scholarship program, you must meet the following requirements:
- you must have a professional experience or a university degree from the country of your citizenship;
- you must be a Catholic Christian or belong to any Christian denomination. If you practice any other religion, you can apply for the scholarship provided that you are nominated by Catholic partners and that you can prove your commitment to the dialogue between different religions;
- you must be able to speak German language (the KAAD arranges the maximum of 6 months of intensive language training in Germany);
- you must prove your academic excellence at a university in your home country;
- you must orient your studies/research towards reintegration in your home country on the permanent basis (otherwise the KAAD reserves a right to turn your scholarship award into a loan);
- you must generally demonstrate social and religious commitment and willingness to support interreligious dialogue.
Scholarship Program #2
The scholarship is available to candidates from the countries of Asia, Middle East, Africa and Latin America. You can choose from
- Master’s Degree program;
- Doctoral Degree program.
Candidates for the scholarship award must meet the following criteria:
- you must be a current student of a German University;
- if you apply for a Master’s Degree program, you must submit your documents during the final term of your Bachelor’s studies;
- you must be able to speak German language at least on the level everyday-life communication;
- you must prove academic/research excellence;
- the requirements concerning the candidate’s studies orientation, commitment to the program’s aims and religion practice are the same as in the Program #1.
- Nowadays, the KAAD pays great attention to citizens from the African continent. In the focus there are Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya and Zimbabwe. In terms of the last three countries from the list, the Scholarship Program #1 offers the possibility of obtaining a Master’s Degree (the so-called “in-country” scholarship).
- Such countries as Tanzania and Uganda are considered as a part of the East African region.
- Cameroon and Nigeria are partner countries.
Here is the application form for the KAAD scholarships. For more details, please check the links provided.
Like our Facebook page and/or follow our blog to get the latest scholarship updates