In the modern world, all young people face a dilemma: what if you want to learn something new every day, but you do not have enough time and energy? The solution is in express self-development in the transport or queue. In fact, you can make it in 11 minutes.
Take Express Lessons
It does not take much time, but the material is easy to remember. Now, you do not need to learn the rules – it is much more interesting to learn more about all the nuances of the topic. For example, there are many express lessons for any language (even native speakers barely know their language on a pro level). Thus, you can learn not only your mother tongue, but also the language of the country where you are going to study. For instance, on the website of the BBC service, you can find some express English lessons. They last only for 3-4 minutes, so in 11 minutes you can get through 3 or 4 videos. The advantage of these lessons is that every text is attached to each video, as well as a dictionary.
Highbrow Courses is a great platform with text mini-courses. You can only subscribe to one course, which lasts about 10 days. Every day you receive an email with a lesson – a short but interesting story that you will have time to read during breakfast. Finding something on the site is easy because there are many sections: Art, Travel, Business, Languages, Productivity and others.
Comics develop imagination, because we usually look at the pictures first of all, draw a certain storyline in the head and then read the text. Nowadays, there are a lot of types of comics and graphic novels of different publishing houses. If you think that all you can get is Marvel or DC superhero comics, you are mistaken. Every person can find something suitable, even the classic literature in a form of comics. The most important thing is that it will not take much time and one edition can be easily read in about 11 minutes.
Learn 11 New Facts a Day
Did you know that one of the best dishes before training is oatmeal? Or that ostriches never hide their heads in the sand? Find out something new every day in the span of 11 minutes. As such, there are many sites and mobile applications in which many interesting facts are collected. Such applications are «Interesting Facts», «Curiosity», «Amazing Facts», «Interesting Facts 30000+».
See Some Short Films
Creating a short film is not as easy as it sounds. Moreover, it is even more difficult to understand it. After all, in a rather limited time, you need to say everything that you could tell in a full movie. Each short film is a separate story – not just a cutting of frames, but a whole world, in which there are a lot of hints and symbols that need to be decoded after the viewing. Therefore, watch at least one such movie every day and think of it.
Learn Some Tongue Twisters
Such phrases with sounds that are difficult to pronounce are needed not only by the future hosts or artists. They should be mastered by everyone who wants to speak clearly and legibly. Only 11 minutes a day and your diction will amaze the people around you. This is one of those methods, the result of which can be seen almost immediately.
Here are 5 tongue twisters, work on which will take about 11 minutes. Alternatively, you may try to learn and perform some of the System Of A Down tracks.
- How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood
As a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
- If a dog chews shoes, whose shoes does he choose?
- How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?
- A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk the skunk stunk.
- Lesser leather never weathered wetter weather better.
Watch the TED Video
Self-development is not only about how to learn 600 words in 11 minutes. It is also about how to develop real human feelings, learn to appreciate really important things. Numerous TED videos, in which speakers tell interesting stories, will help you with this. For example, Jill Hicks, who survived the terrorist attack in London in July 2005, talks about the events of that day and the will to live in spite of everything else.
Read the Books
An average person reads 120-220 words per minute – this is approximately 1.5-2 pages. So, in 11 minutes you can read up to 5 or 7 pages. If you imagine that you read the minimum of 7 pages a day, you will read the novel «Never Let Me Go» (recently its author, Kazuo Ishiguro, won a Nobel Prize in literature) in 50 days. And for 8 months, absolutely without straining, you will overcome whole «The Lord of the Rings» trilogy.
Learn a Language
Spend 11 minutes a day on a foreign language. There are many mobile applications which outline the material in a simple and interactive form. Of course, those will come in handy.
- «Duolingo: Learn languages for free» is one of the most popular applications in the Education section. There is also a separate application for learning English.
- «50 languages» – you can download 100 lessons in relation to the language that interests you.
- «Babbel» – offers applications for learning dozens of languages in the world.
- «Fun Easy Learn» is an application for learning words in six languages: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German and Polish.
- There are also many other applications for each language – from English to Chinese. They are easy to find on the Play Market or the App Store.
Read Articles on the Professional Sites
If you want to become an expert in your field, then it is not enough to just listen to lectures at the university. It is worth looking for profile sites for your profession. There, you can find a lot of information about the trends in the chosen area, the advice of practitioners, useful interviews and generally all scandals, intrigues and investigations. For instance, there are sites designed just for the journalists or for programmers. Devote 11 minutes to reading articles on such sites every day. This is another small step to success.
Each of us has some weaknesses, and we do not need to practice for hours to change this. On YouTube, there are many videos with useful exercises that can be done within 10 minutes. Determine your weak points (hands, stomach, back, etc.) – and start working on it.
Does remembering all capitals in the world seem unreal? Everything is possible if you give it a little of time on a regular basis. Use mobile applications and surprise your friends.
- «Geography: Countries of the World.» The task is to find a country on the world map or to guess the state flag or the name of the capital. Another mode – choose the name of the country out of the six proposed.
- «Capitals of the World.» You are asked to name the capital of the country from four options. The advantage is that you also memorize the flag of the country at the same time because it is depicted on the background of the task.
- «Cities of the world.» This is a photo test where you have to guess the city for its memorable places. You are offered four options for an answer. In another mode, the name should be composed of the random letters. There are 110 cities in the application.
Train Your Memory
If you walk on foot to college or work, try to remember the number plates of cars. Alternatively, you can count how many red cars you saw. If you get to your destination by the means of public transport, notice how many people have glasses or beards. Before going to bed, try to remember what happened to you during the day, but in the reverse order, or try to name at least 10 famous writers.
Analyze Your Day
Every day before going to bed, take a few minutes to think about the past 24 hours. Also, be sure to plan the next day. 11 minutes of self-organization today is a guarantee to be much more productive tomorrow.
Self-development does not take much time – you just need to have the desire and will to improve.